Property Owner Business Rates
Are you liable for business rates on your vacant / development property? We can help.
Lease event soon? It could impact your business rates!
If you have a rent review, lease renewal or re-gear in the next twelve months, what is agreed could have a significant impact on your business rates assessment for the 2026 Rating List.
We are already working hard, advising clients in preparation for the 2026 Rating List.
If you are undertaking, or affected by building works or think you are paying too much in business rates, please get in touch.
How to appeal
The earlier you can seek advice, the better. Although appeals and relief claims can be backdated, advice secured early on will ensure the best possible outcome.
We will fact-check it, assess whether or not savings can be made and if so, advise you on the best course of action.
How we can help you
Business rates are a commercial property tax, payable by property owners and occupiers. The amount payable will depend on the “rateable value” of the property, which is broadly based on the hypothetical annual market rent value. It is payable whether the property is occupied, empty, or undergoing redevelopment.
WHAT WE DO
- Vacant Properties – mothballed / design phase / planning stage / to let – We can give rating advice at point of acquisition and mitigate your ongoing liability
- Premises incapable of occupation (i.e. asbestos / fire escape issues) – we can seek and secure exemptions and challenge historic liabilities and secure refunds
- Buildings undergoing refurbishment or redevelopment – We can provide consultancy at point of planning/scheme design, seek removal of your liability on account of works and seek a better effective date of cessation of liability
- Post practical completion (CAT A) – We can advise on the new level of liability and ensure liability is not commenced prematurely
- We help property owners to reduce their liability for business rates
- We concentrate on vacant property, sites earmarked for redevelopment, historic redevelopment schemes and refurbishment projects
- To reduce a client’s liability to the lowest possible level we utilise a combination of appeals against the Rateable Values, mitigation schemes and an in depth understanding of case law and exemptions
Other Owner Services
We combine our understanding of the commercial market with an analytical approach to the evidence, using case law precedent to win key technical points.
Our in-depth knowledge of renewal procedure allows us - more often than not - to resolve lease renewal terms by mutual agreement.
Parliament is soon going to enact new primary legislation on business rates, which will have an impact on your pocket as well...
When it comes to business rates, eyes tend to glaze over. Many property investors take the view that nothing is certain in li...
Time is running out to challenge your current business rates – so action is needed now! The last date to submit an appeal to ...
Leading property consultancy Allsop has appointed James Pullen as a Partner to bolster its national business rates advisory t...