John advises landlords and occupiers, when a new lease is being drafted, when an old lease is being valued at rent review or lease renewal, whenever there is a dispute (e.g. over dilapidations or service charge) and also when business rates need correcting or temporarily reducing.
After a first career in the Army John made the leap into surveying in 2007 to the South East Office team at JLL where he qualified before moving on to Knight Frank. He left Knight Frank’s National Offices Lease Advisory Team as a partner in 2017 to join Allsop.
A particularly brutal Commanding Officer once drilled into him to “provide advice you can base a decision upon” and it remains a mantra today.
RELEVANT EXPERTISE / SPECIALISM
Rental valuations of all types. That includes assessing business rates, rent reviews, lease renewals, lease re-gears, as well as dilapidations, on offices and industrial warehouses mainly in London and the South East. Landlord and Tenant Dispute Resolution
- Dacre Street business rates reductions sought and initial small win successfully challenged and increased.
- Bruton Street rating re-assessment and configuration resulting in 10% rates saving.
- Imperial Place, Borehamwood – sequence of linked rent reviews between 2,000 and 40,000 sq ft achieving 25% increase in rent for the landlord
- Juxon House, St Paul’s Churchyard, London – 25,000 sq ft rent review representing the Tenant.
- 60 Vulcan Way, Croydon – 60,000 sq ft Warehouse lease renewal
- Mountbatten House, Basingstoke 140,000 sq ft Long Leasehold renegotiation as part of a redevelopment.
KEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS
- JP Morgan Chase
- First Property
- Landmark Offices
- Teamsport Carting
- Telereal Trillium
- Member of The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
GETTING TO KNOW JOHN
FAVOURITE LANDMARK: Durham Cathedral
FAVOURITE MOTTO: Si vis pacem, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, prepare for war). For 3rd Party work, this is vitally important: the other side won’t make a concession if they think you are about to concede.
FAVOURITE RADIO STATION: Radio 4
FAVOURITE BOOK: Eastern Approaches – Fitzroy Maclean
FAVOURITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION: The Alps (summer or winter)