Over the last five years Allsop has partnered up with the West London Mission (WLM) to help run the Winter Night Shelter at the Hinde Street Methodist Church, close to Allsop HQ.
WLM is a charitable organisation which works across multiple faith groups to accommodate vulnerable homeless people who are waiting to find permanent accommodation. Those involved in the programme are vetted and targeted for rehabilitation. Each night of the week guests visit one of the approved night shelter venues where they each receive a cooked meal along with somewhere to socialise and sleep.
The Winter Night Shelter runs on a Monday evening from December until March from 6pm onwards. Opening its doors to allow 15 pre-arranged guests to stay over. Volunteers can either come in groups or individually to carry out one of the following
- Groups of 3 or more help to prepare and serve a two course meal to guests.
- Cooking usually starts at around 6pm so that dinner can be served by 8pm. This is then wrapped up by around 9.30pm.
- Cooking equipment is provided, however food will have to be bought prior (usually an Ocado order delivered on the day) and is claimed back through the Pret Foundation.
- Chefs, please no spaghetti bolognaise, as that’s all the guests get at all the other venues (and they are sick of it, or so I’m told!)
- Providing entertainment to the guests, through playing board games, playing table tennis or just having a conversation with them.
- Help set up and greet guests as they arrive.
- General organisation of the event.
- This involves staying overnight in the shared accommodation sleeping in the same room. The rooms are separated by gender.
- We realise this may not be the desired option for most people and by no means is it obligatory, but anyone wanting to help with this element is most welcome.
We have agreed with WLM to commit at least 2 volunteers every Monday from December to March.
We are so proud of our volunteers for giving their time and comfort to the homeless in our community.